Wednesday, December 11, 2013

V8787 - review



V8787



Pattern Description:
Lined dress has fitted bodice variations, midriff, tapered or flared skirt and back zipper. C and E: side front and side back seams, and side pockets. A, B, D and F: semi-fitted skirt and back slit. D, E and F: bias front bodice with fold-back facing.

Pattern Sizing:
6-14, 14-22

I made 5 dresses it total. Most of the dresses I blended between sizes, there was a wide variety in body shapes :)


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes -We choose option C. Sleeveless with a flared skirt.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I'm not sure - I didn't follow them. 

I used bias strips made from the fabric for the neck line. I created a tutorial here on how to do that really neatly.  After the fifth dress I could almost do it blind folded.

I also left the side seams until last so I could make sure the dress fitted before I hemmed.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really liked this pattern, we didn't go with the sleeves though so I wonder how that would have went.


Fabric Used:
Ponti De Roma from Lincraft - http://www.lincraft.com.au/ponti-de-roma-deep-red
I got it online and it turned out great - although the red runs in the wash.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I didn't use a zipper because of the ponti.

Blending between sizes worked well.

The bust dart fell pretty much perfect every time!

I had a few hunched shoulders so I pinned out the excess fabric. 

For my own dress I did a FBA, so I ended up with a bigger dart and an extra dart on the other side.

Instead of the curved waist band I just cut across the grain - I think I made it 12cm wide. Didn't affect the dress fitting but made it easier for me.

Once I could get the ladies to try on the dress, I drew where I wanted the arm hole edge should go instead of using the pattern's arm hole. Does that even make sense?






No comments:

Post a Comment